Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Feature Requests Page: 1  Previous   Next
Production Year
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDevion27
Registered: April 3, 2008
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 488
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
whats your thoughts on adding something like this to the production year to distinguish when television shows were aired and keep the only the year kept for films? If someone can help me explain what i mean better feel free to chime in. 


2000-2017
2000-2001
http://www.mulligansmoviereviewsandmore.com/
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 16,580
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantDraxen
I see shiny discs...
Registered: March 13, 2007
Finland Posts: 673
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Devion27:
Quote:
whats your thoughts on adding something like this to the production year to distinguish when television shows were aired and keep the only the year kept for films? If someone can help me explain what i mean better feel free to chime in. 


2000-2017
2000-2001


I like the idea behind this, to make the "production year"-field more flexible, but we would run into problems with television series and/or box sets where we have non-continuous production run. For example, we have "Shrek: The Whole Story" box set covering years 2001-2010 but having only 4 films. So having "2001-2010" showing in production year -field would be quite misleading. Same thing for television series such as e.g. "Columbo" where we do have "gap years" with no episodes at all.

So I would like to adapt the idea to have the box-set parents to have production year field with different syntax to single releases and box set children, so that it would be, if user so wanted(!), auto-populated with production years of its children. So that e.g. for "Shrek: The Whole Story" box set it would show comma separated info like "2001, 2004, 2007, 2010", because those are the production years of the children, instead of just "2001" which is just the first release of the box set.

Surely there must be some exceptions with profiles where production year of one tv season extends from one year to another or something like that, but the principle idea of making the production year -field more flexible and informative for tv-series / movie box sets, I think, is very welcome.
Mika
I hate people who love me, and they hate me. (Bender Bending Rodriguez)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAce_of_Sevens
Registered: December 10, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
Posts: 2,985
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I think ranges would be good in general for both TV series and box sets.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAce_of_Sevens
Registered: December 10, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
Posts: 2,985
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Draxen:
Quote:

I like the idea behind this, to make the "production year"-field more flexible, but we would run into problems with television series and/or box sets where we have non-continuous production run. For example, we have "Shrek: The Whole Story" box set covering years 2001-2010 but having only 4 films. So having "2001-2010" showing in production year -field would be quite misleading. Same thing for television series such as e.g. "Columbo" where we do have "gap years" with no episodes at all.


I don't see how this is any more misleading than just putting 2001, which is the current standard.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantDraxen
I see shiny discs...
Registered: March 13, 2007
Finland Posts: 673
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Ace_of_Sevens:
Quote:
Quoting Draxen:
Quote:

I like the idea behind this, to make the "production year"-field more flexible, but we would run into problems with television series and/or box sets where we have non-continuous production run. For example, we have "Shrek: The Whole Story" box set covering years 2001-2010 but having only 4 films. So having "2001-2010" showing in production year -field would be quite misleading. Same thing for television series such as e.g. "Columbo" where we do have "gap years" with no episodes at all.


I don't see how this is any more misleading than just putting 2001, which is the current standard.


That is true of course. But I think, as with my Shrek-box set example, "2001, 2004, 2007, 2010" would be preferable to "2001-2010", when the box set doesn't contain releases from all the years within the range. Also, it would be strange to e.g. have "1946-1964" for Criterion's "The Killers" double release. "1946, 1964" auto populated from children would be better.
Mika
I hate people who love me, and they hate me. (Bender Bending Rodriguez)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorT!M
User since 6 Dec. 2000
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Netherlands Posts: 6,756
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
For movie box set profiles, that don't actually profile any content, I don't really even need a production year. I don't see how the production year should be handled differently than all those other fields that are deliberately left out from movie box set parent profiles, and are stored in the child profiles instead. This could just be one more of those fields. I don't need to the parent profile for a 'Shrek' box set to tell me that the films are from"2001, 2004, 2007, 2010" - the children already do that. Movie box set profiles are just empty containers: they should contain as little data as possible.

Quoting Draxen:
Quote:
"1946, 1964" auto populated from children would be better.

If anything, yes, exactly that. If we really want the box set parent profile to show production years, then the production year field in a movie box set profile should be greyed-out, and auto-populated from the children. For the record: that does mean it'll include the production years of any "Bonus Feature Film" child profile as well. As always, some users may actually like that, others may not.

It's different for (most) TV sets, though. For TV shows, I keep feeling that proper handling should start by moving the season indicator out of the title field and into it's own field. I know that doesn't immediately address the production years, but I do believe that should be the starting point.
 Last edited: by T!M
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributoriPatsa
Zzzzzzz
Registered: March 13, 2007
Sweden Posts: 2,938
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
What T!M said.

Personally I don't need the info in the box set parent at all.
Patrik
 Last edited: by iPatsa
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Desktop Feature Requests Page: 1  Previous   Next